[e2e] Switched Ethernet is Not an End-to-End System; was Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Thu Nov 12 18:45:19 PST 2009

I'm not persuaded that the best engineering solution always wins the
prize, Bob: VHS vs. Beta for example. I think there's a lot of evidence
to suggest that non-engineering factors have had a lot to do with the
hegemony of TCP/IP.

It's difficult to respond in detail to the following as much of it is
mid-sentence complaints about thing that happen to be answered in the
next phrase or so, but I will say I don't imply that the designers of
internetworks didn't think abstractly; Pouzin certainly did and still
does.But I am saying the argument that a particular sub-optimal design
is best for a production network because it happens to avoid
fate-sharing or support innovation seems a bit like grasping at straws.

Secure, reliable, and efficient networks support innovation best.

RB

--
Richard Bennett
Research Fellow