[e2e] Switched Ethernet is Not an End-to-End System; was Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Nov 13 13:41:44 PST 2009

Richard Bennett wrote:
> It's rather interesting that while Bob Braden insists that the
> Internet is an "application neutral network" David Clark famously
> derides such views as "happy little bunny rabbit dreams" and works to
> make it better able to support diverse applications.
>
> Who's right?

Perhaps both of them.

Some time ago, someone wrote here in the list: Science is about asking
questions and answering them.

Perhaps, science can even be about proposing views - and evaluating them.

Do we always need a clear "right" and "wrong"?

I've seen Ethernet installations which clearly distinguish different
VLANs with different properties, e.g. one "best effort" network for
client server applications and QoS properties for VoIP.

I don't have a problem with this.

I don't even have a problem with using VJCC for the one network and
circuit switching like MPLS for the other.

It is sometimes a bit confusing that we have end to end applications and
centrally managed ones on the same infrastructure.

We only should avoid to think in to strict right vs. wrong, black vs. white.

(It took me some years to accept a coexistence of different paradigms
like these on wireless networks. And, btw., wireless networks are a
wonderful example for the coexistence of real time and best effort
applications, end to end applications and ones with centrally managed
switching. Networks are flexible enough. We just should learn to be
flexible as well.)

--
Detlef Bosau            Galileistraße 30        70565 Stuttgart
phone: +49 711 5208031  mobile: +49 172 6819937 skype: detlef.bosau