[e2e] Switched Ethernet is Not an End-to-End System; was Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Sat Nov 14 05:16:39 PST 2009

Let me again state my point of view as written yesterday in

 <4AFDD298.8050101 at web.de>

Richard Bennett wrote:
> Are you claiming the cell network is an edge-managed system? I don't
> think so.

A cell network integrates both kinds of networks, edge managed ones and
centrally managed ones as well.

The thrill is the coexistence of these.

Particularly, as the separation (and vice versa the convergence) of both
starts at extremely low layers, i.e. the physical layer when data and
speech may use different, if compatible, line coding schemes.

For quite some years I suffered from the paradigm that IP would be "the"
convergence layer and both, data and speech as well, should be conveyed
packet switched via IP datagrams.

Eventually, this questionable approach is about to be overcome even in
the CS community.

Particularly, as the "there's no switching like packet switching"
attitude of some CS guys ad the "there's no switching like line
switching" attitude of some EE guys caused lots of misconceptions and
even some severe waste of money spent for nonsense research projects.

Perhaps, we should bring these useless arguments to an end and simply
accept, that both concepts exist, both concepts are useful. They don't
compete each other, they complete each other.

We all should remember Hammings insight: “Mathematicians /stand on each
other's/ shoulders while computer scientists /stand on each other's toes/.”

--
Detlef Bosau            Galileistraße 30        70565 Stuttgart
phone: +49 711 5208031  mobile: +49 172 6819937 skype: detlef.bosau