[e2e] Some questions about TCP.

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 23 01:23:48 PST 2009

I suggest you read thru W Richard Stevens TCP/IP Illustrated, esp. vol
2 where he goes thru the code...

basically, while all TCP packets can carry data,
there is a notion of a "pure ack" implicit in
a packet that is triggered internally by TCP even when there isn't
data which acks cumulatively received sequence number space (or
(inclusive or) notifies the far end that there's more window space...

you don't have to ack every packet, but if a packet is "new"
(e.g.  carries new data) then you probably should ack it soon ...

if you see a new packet (i.e. it carries new data), but its sequence
is not the _expected_ one (i.e. next chunk), then you might dupack
the oldest one received so far...

I think this is all beautifully explained by Stevens, so I will now
await whhile you go and read it:)

In missive <4B0A453D.4000607 at web.de>, Detlef Bosau typed:

 cheers

   jon