[e2e] Some questions about TCP.

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sun Nov 22 13:45:57 PST 2009

On 11/22/2009 02:04 PM, Detlef Bosau wrote:
> 1.: Recently, I was told, however I did not find a reference in some
> RFC, we had two distinct packet types in TCP:
> - those _with_ payload, which are _data_ _segments_,
> - those _without_ payload, which are _acknowledgements_.

Not true.   TCP was designed to piggyback acknowledgements with data.
Acknowledgements are reflected only as increases in sequence numbers.
One can think of the arrival of a packet with a sequence number larger
than any previous sequence number as a "virtual" acknowledgement message.

I am curious who told you that "fact".