[e2e] Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Oct 25 06:25:38 PDT 2009

ok, as you asked.
but this is euro-centric so others on the list might
not want to read on...

the next gen research programmes should be
about ideas that will postdate the internet -

IPv6 is, errm, around ~15 year old idea -

A few things came along in the last 15, 10, 5 years
that are already stressing out the basics -
of the entire type of networking that the subject line
discussion is about...

Lots of people can make their lists,
but in no particular order, my
problem with the entire approach to
nets predicated on packets and links and nodes
comes out of the pressure from
1. trying to do multihop, multiantennae radios
2. dealing with net coding

3. dealing with a future pretty soon now
where there are 10 billion mobile
devices and because of critical infrastructure,
we want to be organisationally (and not just topo/geo)
multihomed, and multipath (for resiliance of
access and flow resilience)

4. Coping with sub-lambda multiplexing
on 100Gbps optical paths... is another
strange vector (I suppose gMPLS afficionados
believe they have this one under control, but
I don't)

This had already start to creep in with
the internet of things, (sorry, I know thats just buzzword)
social nets, and content centric networking...

But new paradigms for traffic patterns
loosely starting with
content based networking,
now with very large scale rendezvous of
user contributed media and user interest...

The tension between authentic source identification,
(and sink), provenance of content,
and the requirements for privacy,
also puts a lot of pressure on the
net and application architecture
particularly when the matchmaking indixes
for this stuff have to be rebuilt faster and faster (see
what fb, imdb, amazon, etc etc)
have to do every night:)
(so they can get their targetted advertisement revenue
that lets us all use this stuff so cheap)

So where is the action?
That would be telling:-)

Flow labs and end-to-end arguments?
well, I guess what I am trying to say above
is that we are rapdily seeing the sublimation
of the entire naive idea of an "end point"
in network, transport and application terms
so I can't answer your specific query...

cheers

In missive <4AE44BDC.2050704 at tcd.ie>, Jaime Mateos typed:

 >>Jon Crowcroft wrote:
 >>> A sad recent error has been
 >>> EU statements that everyone doing
 >>> next gen internet research should be
 >>> trying to converge on IPv6, but
 >>> that's a whole other rant...
 >>>

 >>That's a rant I'm interested about. Where in your opinion does IPv6,
 >>specially features such as flow label support, fit in the end to end
 >>argument?

 cheers

   jon