[e2e] Linux TCP

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Aug 19 12:43:12 PDT 2011

On 08/19/2011 09:12 PM, John Sage wrote:

> The Oxford Dictionary of the English Language defines  a "pedant" as
> one being excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with
> displaying academic learning.

So, call me pedantic.

And in some respect, you're perfectly correct.

Whatever you mean with "displaying academic learning".

This is envy, nothing else.

> I would imagine that you find it very, very difficult to pass through
> the real world, inhabited with real human beings who do not match up
> to your standards of "pure rules" and where the only apparent
> alternative is "botch".

Is that the typical argument between practitioners and theoreticians?

Excuse me, but on the one hand, we reach the point where I feel offended
personally. On the other hand, we leave the topic of this list.

I wanted to emphasize the importance of standardization and academic
discussion. In my mind, this is a matter of fact and not a matter of
discussion.

However, I think we should stop at this point. The discussion as its
pursued at this point is not adequate for this list.
(BTW: Neither is Linux. Linux is an OS and there exists a TCP
implementation for Linux. I want to discuss TCP here. What Linux is
concerned: Give the programmers a pointer to the RFC and then make it so.)

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                            skype:     detlef.bosau