[e2e] Estimating Network Buffer Size with npad or ndt

Barry Constantine Barry.Constantine at jdsu.com
Wed Aug 24 05:04:05 PDT 2011

Hi,

I know one of these tools can estimate network buffer size on an end-end basis, I think it is ndt?

If anyone on this list is familiar with the technique used, please reply.

I was pondering whether the TCP test client continues to increase the CWND, measuring RTT along the way till it detects some level of retransmits.

Then with the throughput achieved and RTT (before retransmission threshold), calculate network buffer size.

Thank you,
Barry Constantine