[e2e] SCTP TSN/SSN reset

Kacheong Poon ka-cheong.poon at oracle.com
Wed Mar 30 01:55:54 PDT 2011

On 03/30/11 04:44 PM, Joe Touch wrote:

> This really then comes back to one of two points. Either:
>
> 1) you have a real problem you want solved
> which, AFAICT, you are claiming has not been shown
> for SCTP, and you are not proposing

No, I don't see that there is a real problem to be solved
which requires the transport level reset mechanism.  This is
my view.  What I want to know if some folks on this list see
that there is a real need which requires this mechanism.  This
has always been my question.

> 2) you have a solution which has some useful properties which we could
> then consider as possibly useful for something
> AFAICT, the solution in TCP is either not feasible,
> or costs as much as a new connection (and with less
> complexity), at which point this is not a good
> motivator

No, the above is not what I proposed.

I changed the subject line.  So my question is do folks on
this list think that a SCTP TSN/SSN reset is a useful feature
to have.  Basically, there is no real need for an app to know
about TSN and SSN, let alone resetting them.  There may be
reasons that it is a good idea.  This is what I want to hear
from this list.

--

					K. Poon.
					ka-cheong.poon at oracle.com