[e2e] Google seeks to tweak TCP

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Feb 2 06:09:14 PST 2012

On 01/24/2012 12:01 PM, Jon Crowcroft wrote:
> well, perhaps - sometimes, i just wish TCP would simply get out of the way...

Jon,

as science is usually thinking in alternatives: What is your alternative
for TCP? Anybody is free to propose one.

In addition, I wonder, why we need Science at all. We already have
Google and Wikipedia and obviously, research is no longer being done by
academics or by some huge companies but by Google.

Brave new world.

Lloyd pointed out some criticism, and we should well remember the
Hippocratic oath: "First do no harm." And thoughtlessly increasing
initial windows or other "parameter changes" _may_ do harm.

On the quoted blog, we find comments like this one:

> Rich Jones <http://www.blogger.com/profile/05420634711083784817>Jan
> 23, 2012 12:14 PM
> <http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2012/01/lets-make-tcp-faster.html?showComment=1327349640021#c7326672375960415062>
>
>     This is awesome work. I'm glad that Google is putting their vast
>     engineering resources to such good use.
>
>     Rich, Gun.io

> Clemens Harten
> <http://www.blogger.com/profile/06607566431465103036>Jan 23, 2012
> 12:24 PM
> <http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2012/01/lets-make-tcp-faster.html?showComment=1327350285920#c7113922870277087622>
>
>     It is impressive to see how simple changes (justified by extensive
>     research) can lead to a great improvement of the protocol. Well done!

And whenever people are exited by simple recipes which save the world,
we always should keep in mind RFC 1925.
>     (6)  It is easier to move a problem around (for example, by moving
>          the problem to a different part of the overall network
>          architecture) than it is to solve it.

and of course:

Or, as H. L. Mencken said:

> "For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, neat
> and wrong"

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937