[e2e] Free Internet & IPv6

Fred Baker (fred) fred at cisco.com
Wed Sep 19 18:00:31 PDT 2012

On Sep 19, 2012, at 1:07 PM, Daniel Havey wrote:

> I wonder why the bandwidth is unused in the first place?

The most common reason is related to the diurnal cycle. When everyone's asleep, only the backup tool is running.

The one after that is that bandwidth is generally purchased (for money) in fixed increments. If I need N bps and my options are M and P, where M < N < P, I either accept being congested some percentage of the time and go with the lower value, or increase to the upper one. In the latter case, I never use P-N.