[e2e] A "Railway Model." Re: Codel and Wireless

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Dec 7 08:04:00 PST 2013

you might want to read about how people use layer two congestion
signaling from L2 (only) switches to  give feedback to TCP which then
uses a distributed scheduler to avoid the incast problem alluded to...

yes, gasp, layer violation - but it works. so engineers like it

In missive <52A339EA.7000907 at web.de>, Detlef Bosau typed:

 >>Am 07.12.2013 13:12, schrieb Neil Davies:
 >>> Actually, with worm-hole routed fabrics you can achieve better than 67% [1] for random paths with the right switching architecture.
 >>>
 >>Nevertheless, Andrew mixed up the layers.
 >>
 >>I'm talking about TCP or equivalent protocols. Not about Layer 2. And
 >>neither about Ethernet pause frames.
 >>So, perhaps Andrew wants to have a second look to what I suggested.
 >>(I gave it more than two thoughts before I wrote it, so one could give
 >>it two attempts in reading it ;-))
 >>
 >>--
 >>Detlef Bosau
 >>Galileistraße 30
 >>70565 Stuttgart                            Tel.:   +49 711 5208031
 >>                                           mobile: +49 172 6819937
 >>                                           skype:     detlef.bosau
 >>                                           ICQ:          566129673
 >>detlef.bosau at web.de                     http://www.detlef-bosau.de