[e2e] Why was hop by hop flow control eventually abandonded?

George Michaelson ggm at apnic.net
Wed Jul 17 19:09:08 PDT 2013

There is something slightly awry for me seeing a bunch of people discuss
this like we're history of science students reviewing the royal society in
1688. Did I drop into an alternative universe?

Donald Davies aside, the players aren't all "dropped off the twig" yet. I
personally think their input has some primacy for me in the "why" side of
things, looking backwards. Maybe I'm missing the posts which say "I thought
that..." or "I decided that..."

Speaking for myself, as a aficionado of history of science, The post-hoc
rationalisations over why things happen often don't really reflect what was
going on at the time. People say "because of <blah>" but it isn't always
that simple. Sometimes you're just playing and your idea gets traction.
Sometimes you're exploring and you luck into something and it becomes
bigger than you thought. (mostly, I think I find myself down rat holes
which are irrelevant to the mainstream. Like my time coding ISO Transport
Classes 0-3 and misunderstanding that Transport Class 4 was TCP by another
name)

I think that hbh happens right now. As Jon said, its on aggregates. But it
undoubtedly (oh, don't you love it when people make assertions which invite
the 'hang on, I doubt it' response.. so this is in my opinion..) informs
e2e by the outcomes on delay and drop.

Two systems operating on the same outcome fully decoupled invites
interactions which are chaotic. They might couple, or they might not. For
other unrelated reasons I found myself reviewing the TCP over X.25 back
history and a purdue [1] study noted that a 2 packet window in X.25 SVC and
PVC had a really bad effect on TCP. As did establishment cost on e2e delay
for those crucial first few packets. If you pace your behaviour based on
what happens at the start, this intermixing of dumb and smart can play bad.

[1]
http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1574&context=cstech