[e2e] Lost Layer?

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Feb 11 21:44:50 PST 2014

On 2/11/2014 10:47 AM, Fred Baker (fred) wrote:
> In CSNET, IP ran atop X.25, and IP was the API that allowed someone to select which X.25 destination they might go to.
>
> Get over it. X.25 is a network, and the Internet is a Network, and one often runs over the other. As in X.25/TCP/IP/CSNET and other bizarre things.

CSNet had an even earlier bit of layer that you might enjoy:

    RFC733/CSNet Mail/CSNet Phonenet/X.25

Since CSNet had Internet (well, initially Arpanet) gateways at UDel and
Rand, this meant that end-to-end Arpanet/Internet mail often transited
over a telephone link and mail protocol which ran over X.25.

Wouldn't surprise me if some example had

   RFC822/CSNetMail/Phonenet/X.25 <Gateway> X.25/IP/TCPSMTP/RFC822

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking