[e2e] Lost Layer?

Steven Blake slblake at petri-meat.com
Mon Jan 13 09:57:39 PST 2014

On Sat, 2014-01-11 at 11:40 +0000, Jon Crowcroft wrote:

> certainly the authors should have read IEN1 which would have led to a
> much better identifier space (as revived in the ILNP work by ran
> atkinson, 40 years later
> http://ilnp.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/
>
>  cheers
>
>    jon

Agreed.

If I understand the slides correctly, they argue that what is missing
are network-scope (e.g., AS-scope) addresses, to be used by
hosts/routers within a domain, restricting the use (e.g.,
routing/forwarding) of Internet-scope addresses to hosts and Internet
gateways (e.g., inter-exchange routers).  Whatever the other merits of
that approach, it won't solve the multihoming scalability problem.

Regards,

// Steve