[e2e] simulation using self-similar traffic

Mark Crovella crovella at cs.bu.edu
Wed Apr 4 09:45:49 PDT 2001

Sorry, came in late to this discussion.

Polly's points are right in line with what we had in mind in writing the
paper.   Namely, that if the sample mean of the inputs doesn't converge
rapidly, then simple measures like throughput (which, as Polly points out,
essentially involves the sample mean of the inputs) won't converge rapidly
either.   This is simply an argument about necessary, not sufficient
conditions.   I would expect sufficient conditions to depend rather heavily
on the particular metric of interest and probably don't exist in most cases.

Also note, that the reason that although the paper considered the sample
mean of i.i.d. heavy-tailed RV's, the convergence properties of the moments
of an LRD process are quite similar.  So, an (effectively) bounded process
can indeed show slow convergence in the mean and variance, because of
autocorrelation.   Using i.i.d. HTRV's is a particularly convenient way to
quantify the implications of slow convergence of moments, because of the
existence of limit theorems.

Mark