[e2e] bandwidth and file size

Zhang Miao zm at csnet1.cs.tsinghua.edu.cn
Thu Apr 5 18:08:53 PDT 2001

Hi, Soo-hyeong
    The link bandwidth is growing very fast, how about the share of bandwidth for
    each connection? The applications and the users on Internet are exploding.
    So we must make clear first which factor contributes more.

>Hello,
>
>It is well known that link bandwidth of the Internet is growing very fast.
>Does the file size also grow at the same speed? Or is it much slower?
>
>I have once read a Kleinrock's paper saying that future large bandwidth delay
network must deal with the case where file size is relatively smaller than
BDP(bandwidth delay product).
>However, I have found that file size also increases.
>In near 1991, file size (transferred by FTP) must have been 100B in average and
mostly below 100 KB, according to Fig.2 (c) in Tcplib documentation
http://irl.eecs.umich.edu/jamin/papers/tcplib/.
>In near 1997, it increases to 240KB in average, according to Table 1 of Claffy's
paper "the nature of the beast: recent traffic measurements from an Internet
backbone," Inet, '98 at http://www.caida.org/outreach/papers/Inet98/

>I think this issue is related with the performance of TCP congestion control in the
large BDP environment, because small file size means that performance impact of
initial slow-start gets more stressed and congestion-avoidance gets less important.
>I hope you will make kind comments.
>
>Thanks and regards.
>
>Soo-hyeong

*    Zhang Miao                                                 *
*    Ph.D candidate,Department of Computer Science & Technology *
*    Tsinghua University,Beijing,China(100084)                  *
*    Tel: (8610)-62785822                                       *
*    Email: zm at csnet1.cs.tsinghua.edu.cn                        *
*    Web: http://netlab.cs.tsinghua.edu.cn/~zm (domestic only ) *