[e2e] How can the VPN service level agreement be enforced crossing ASs?

Andrew Smith ah_smith at pacbell.net
Thu Apr 5 18:43:42 PDT 2001

Yingfei,

AFAIK, this is an unsolved problem, or at least it has undeployed solutions.
But there are people talking of supporting such services soon. I think it
does need further standards work to make it happen in a multi-vendor way.
The PPVPN WG is supposed to identify some of the issues with this:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ppvpn-charter.html says, amongst other
things:

"The [PPVPN] working group is expected to consider at least three specific
approaches including BGP-VPNs (e.g. RFC 2547), virtual routers and
port-based VPNs (i.e., where the SP provides a Layer 2 interface, such as
Frame Relay or ATM, to the VPN customer, while using IP-based mechanisms in
the provider infrastructure to improve scalability and configurability over
traditional L2 networks). Multiple approaches are being developed as each
approach has particular characteristics and differing scope of
applicability.

The working group will consider inter-AS (SP) VPN interconnects so that VPNs
are able to span multiple ASs (SPs)."

But don't hold your breath as they are not scheduled to finish deliberating
until March 2002 ... I think you'll see some commercial deployments before
then though.

Andrew