[e2e] How can the VPN service level agreement be enforced crossing ASs?

Ping Pan pingpan at juniper.net
Thu Apr 5 19:20:05 PDT 2001

Hi,

We had described a new signaling going over multiple AS's using
reservation aggregation. Here is the WEB pointer (we also had an expired
draft there too.)

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~pingpan/projects/bgrp.html

Setting up tunnels between two neighboring AS's is not too difficult.
The problem is to set up tunnels over several transit AS's, where you
need to control signaling overhead, states (N**2 problem, has anyone
seen the latest AS growth chart? ;-)) and security (that is, you need to
be able to block transit guys to sniff the end user information.) That's
why you need to have aggregation.

RFC2547 is also a good way to take care this....

BTW, what's "intelligent optimzed routing" at private NAP's? Route
reflectors?

2 cents.

- Ping