[e2e] TCP in outer space

Courtney, Bill Bill.Courtney at trw.com
Tue Apr 10 14:01:31 PDT 2001

David,

One of the problems with using non-GEO satellites is that
the topology of the constellation is changing. True,
it changes in a predictable way, but the changes will,
nonetheless, require network reconfiguration. With non-GEO
satellites, not only might the inter-satellite links
be breaking and making, but also the earth-space access
links for each user will be continually changing.

In addition, satellite coverage footprints in a
constellation usually overlap, and for many
constellations the overlaps are also in constant
change. This means that uplink and downlink bandwidth
allocations among the satellites will be subject to
changing re-use constraints. This makes it difficult
to ensure that users in any particular area on the
ground will receive a constant amount of bandwidth. And
fluctuating access bandwidth leads to all sorts of
problems, as you can imagine.

These and other difficulties must be balanced against the
possibility that latency might be lowered with non-GEO
constellations. (I say "might," because some of the
non-GEO difficulties can be addressed at the cost
adding latency.) Non-GEO can be a bear!!

Regards,
Bill