[e2e] Two questions on simulation of AQM

J Wu jinw at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Apr 11 03:59:20 PDT 2001

For marking situation, I think the result is same.
For example, as in ur scenario, a burst flow will very hopefully let all
the packets in queue being marked, which means one burst flow will cause
most of the flows back-off. The consequent is as follow:
1.	Burst traffic is not easily to be marked.
2.	Most flows back-off will cause performance oscillation.
3.	Sources with burst behavior will gain a better throughput.
I think the tendency towards burst flow is unfair. But this is just my
opposite idea, we need simulations to prove it is right or wrong.

About ur second question, I agree that reverse channel does impact to TCP
performance, which is quite obviously. I am not quite clear about what u
mean "policy in the reverse direction", is it ACK sending policy or queue
management policy or switch-node scheduling policy.
The paper I mentioned in last email can solve the first situation. If u
want to provide a different queuing and scheduling policy between "sending
direction" and "reverse direction", I don't think it is worthy in my deep
mind. That will make switch-node to be too complex to operate.

Cheers,

Jin.

Jin Wu
School of Computing,