[e2e] "congestion" avoidance...

Jon Crowcroft J.Crowcroft at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Apr 17 03:20:44 PDT 2001

so the problem i have with the current "ECN pricing" thinking is that
it ignores users preferences for stability and predictability over
cheapness (and we have a LOT of evidence gathered from mobile phone
contracts, web and traditional telewphony as well as airline procing
and so on i can cite)

the shadow price for a packet (smart market) is one model, but leads
to potential rapid fluctation in price aroudn flash crowd periods,
which are all to common in IP networks

the simple alternative  is a shadow price for a virtual circuit - this
gives a stable price for the throughput over the "lifetime" of a
session.....

if you Mix this, you can get into nasty arbritrage situations....and i
don't buy into the story that yo ucan offer users a choce via risk
brokers - for the very reason that the traffic is highly dynamic...

also, risk brokers form markets  themselves.....

what i was thinking ewas to "democratise" (disintermediate) the risk
broker and let users form their +own+ cartels dynamically...

i.e. we napsterise congestion pricing for packets and flows...

In message <5.0.2.1.2.20010417060401.03063510 at mail.reed.com>, "David P. Reed" t
yped:

 cheers

   jon