[e2e] "congestion" avoidance...

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue Apr 17 04:07:27 PDT 2001

I think I was trying to "napsterize".

The seed of the idea is that you get all kinds of signals as a result of
congestion that can be used in a control loop, so why not add a simple
signal that can be modulated on the basis of source/dest intent, and which
is shared with other participants in the congestion.  (It's like money in
the sense that its scarcity means you only want to use it at a rate you can
afford.)

Besides your packet rate (which directly affects other flows in the
"flux"), having a bit per packet input that is combined into the other
flows' flags would seem to be a powerful differential signalling channel.
Let's say that a normal flow has about 50% of its packets with "urgency"
on, 50% off.
Say when you turn on ECN in a packet with the "urgency" flag set, you turn
off the next "urgency" flag you see on a packet arriving into the
queue.  Then the source/dest of the other flow sees that it is interfering
with an urgent flow because it sees that its own urgency rate has
dropped.  [This is the sketch of how a cross-flow signalling scheme might
provide information from one flow to others - the algorithm is not intended
to work, of course.]

- David