Reed's views, was [e2e] Cannara's views

John Day day at std.com
Tue Apr 17 07:10:19 PDT 2001

>By the way, using SNA or the telcos as straw men is very misleading -- SNA was
>an extension of IBM's mainframe-controller-slave religion and the telcos were,
>and still are, interested in fitting bits into standard frames and charging
>for them -- remember ATM to the desktop, where they would own our wallplate
>and the cable to it?  Fortunately desktop ATM collapsed of its own economic
>weight and backbone ATM will as well.

One other thing on the SNA and PTT topic and then we can drop it.
Is it just me or is it really the case?  But it seems that there are
number of very big companies trying to push these models on to the
Net and getting a lot of support in all sorts of places, including
the IETF.   There is a big database company that keeps trying to make
the Net look like SNA.  And even more surprising, router companies
talking like phone companys about putting more "intelligence in the
network."  There are all sorts of projects in the IETF that have more
of PTT flavor than an Internet flavor.  And I don't really see any
counter coming from the good guys.

Are we in danger of succumbing to the dark side?

Take care,
John