[e2e] Re: Cannara's views - ATM

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Tue Apr 17 09:21:18 PDT 2001

In message <5.0.0.25.2.20010417091604.0316a0d0 at localhost>, Robert Moskowitz wri
tes:

>what we are seeing is ATM as the edge protocol for Telcos.  One model has
>the ATM switches out in the neighborhood phone closets to support mixed
>data services and analog voice on up to 1000' of copper and then fiber to
>the CO....

And one strong reason is unbundling.  If the goal is (a) to make it
easy to track individual "wires" or "subcribers" and (b) do it in a way
that doesn't force you to open up your management subsystem to others,
ATM is very attractive.

Craig