[e2e] Re: Cannara's views - ATM

Robert Moskowitz rgm-ietf at htt-consult.com
Tue Apr 17 06:19:02 PDT 2001

Not to start an ATM bashing thread, but...

At 06:39 PM 4/16/2001 -0700, Cannara wrote:

>By the way, using SNA or the telcos as straw men is very misleading -- SNA was
>an extension of IBM's mainframe-controller-slave religion and the telcos were,
>and still are, interested in fitting bits into standard frames and charging
>for them -- remember ATM to the desktop, where they would own our wallplate
>and the cable to it?  Fortunately desktop ATM collapsed of its own economic
>weight and backbone ATM will as well.

what we are seeing is ATM as the edge protocol for Telcos.  One model has
the ATM switches out in the neighborhood phone closets to support mixed
data services and analog voice on up to 1000' of copper and then fiber to
the CO.  Is ATM is too slow for today's backbone needs  :)