Reed's views, was [e2e] Cannara's views

Alex Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Sun Apr 22 09:32:21 PDT 2001

John, thanks again for a factual approach.  I've been away, dealing with
some family matters, so have no idea how many responses this has
provoked in e2e, but I did notice an Enet-address thread starting that
accurately explains the uniqueness built into all 802 MAC addressing
/DLC.  I was amused to see a response floating the idea that unique
addresses are somehow bad, so IP's misdesigned kludge is 'good'.  None
of my houses came with addresses on them, but all of their lots did!
However, as with 802.5, it's perfectly possible for a driver to give any
Enet interface any address -- some Token-Ring shops used the Locally-
Administered Address option to simpy put the person's phone extension in
their address (great when looking for all those Token Ring problems with
a Sniffer(r).

It's interesting to porbe and see just how many bureaucratic defense
mechanisms get tickled enough to expose their illogic in the Internet
parish.  :]

Alex