[e2e] variable bandwidth link

Alhussein Abouzeid hussein at ee.washington.edu
Tue Apr 17 17:43:16 PDT 2001

Error models for wireless links have been studied quite elaborately (e.g.
search for a recent survey by M. Zorzi). Since  you want to model TCP over
such a link, you need to first pick one of these models, then find out how
much delay/capacity will be involved in hiding the errors caused by it.
This is the hard part. If you overcome this obstacle, you've arrived at your
model.

Of course, the practicality of this variable bandwidth model depends on
the practicality of your assumption about hiding wireless errors
from TCP, which may be quite practical in some situations (and not so in
many others). I think it's a good approach though.

Hope this helps,

Hussein.