[e2e] Re: crippled Internet

Vernon Schryver vjs at calcite.rhyolite.com
Tue Apr 17 21:25:49 PDT 2001

> From: RJ Atkinson <rja at inet.org>

> >But the access companies who are selling "crippled Internet"
> > -browser-only access to one full-bore personal computer per home (cable
> > companies and DSL ISPs)...

>         I'm not aware of any cable companies that are doing this.
> I have had TCI at Home in the past, who do not do this.  I currently
> have RoadRunner and they aren't doing it either.  Between them,
> RR and @Home are the only major cable ISPs, so I can't figure
> out who you could be talking about.....

What about the following words from http://www.home.com/support/aup/ ?

    You may not run a server in connection with the @Home
    residential service, nor may you provide network services to
    others via the @Home residential service. The @Home
    residential service includes personal Webspace accounts for
    publishing personal Web pages. Examples of prohibited uses
    include, but are not limited to, running servers for mail, http,
    ftp, irc, and dhcp, and multi-user interactive forums.

I've seen reports that say that @Home employees interpret those words
as prohibiting any program that does a passive TCP open, but that they
also say that the AUP is not heavily enforced.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com