[e2e] Re: crippled Internet

Francis Dupont Francis.Dupont at enst-bretagne.fr
Wed Apr 18 13:02:04 PDT 2001

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   Could someone explain what is the purpose of PPPoE for DSL subscribers ?

=> this is a real mystery... I tried to find the answer: it seems
the PPP/modem/dialup model was so familiar to ISPs that they tried
to rebuild it! A common syndrome.

   Why do they need to "authenticate" the box on customer premises,
   whereas there is no such a need for another box called telephone
   wired to the same exact wire and which can do much more damage ?

=> easy, usually the ISP and the telco are not the same entity
(regulation bodies enforced that).

Regards

Francis.Dupont at enst-bretagne.fr

PS: I am afraid that GPRS/GSM will use the same PPP over foo (over bar)
for the same insane reasons, so we'll get PPP over GTP over ATM/FR...
A real challenge for ROHC but this should make path MTU discovery really
mandatory (no ICMP filtering :-)!