[e2e] Re: crippled Internet

Ted Faber faber at ISI.EDU
Wed Apr 18 15:14:48 PDT 2001

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 09:51:02PM +0000, Bob Braden wrote:

> Actually, the last is easy: the administrators of the nodes that were
> "stolen" to mount the DoS attack pay for the traffic generated by
> their nodes.  This provides the right incentive structure, IMHO.

Unless I've misunderstood you, you're going to charge my Mom if her
Windows box gets hacked and used in a DoS attack on Yahoo.  I don't
think that's the right incentive structure for anything except a bunch
of irate users and eventual annoying legislation.

If you mean the ISP admins, they'll want considerable control over my
Mom's machine in return for the increased responsibility they'll bear
for its actions.  Again, I don't think that's a recipe for happy
customers, although it will probably initiate mass migrations from
clueless providers.

What did I miss?