[e2e] Re: crippled Internet

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Tue Apr 24 17:41:47 PDT 2001

At 03:18 PM 4/24/2001 -0700, Alhussein Abouzeid wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Fred Baker wrote:
> > [...]
> > But for simple bandwidth to result in
> > guaranteeable QoS, one has to have significantly more bandwidth than
> > required, on the order of 50% utilization at the busiest moment in the day.
>
>Is this 50% the typical number you see in networks nowadays? I was
>wondering what kind of statistics would result in this figure?
>Heavy tailed distributions can render a utilization that is much less
>than that?

I said "about"...

That really depends on the network - I have heard people form Qwest say
that they see 2.5% utilization in their network, and have heard others
mention 10%.

None of them talk about the link between them and their customer, which
they view as out of their control - out of sight and out of mind. They also
offer the customer few QoS options and often very little information about
what is going on at the SP end of that link.

Hence, customer figures he bought a link from an ISP and it should work,
and ISP thinks the customer provided it, so nobody is taking responsibility
for it. Three guesses where I think the real problem tends to be.