[e2e] More on bandwidth charging

Jon Crowcroft J.Crowcroft at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Apr 25 00:10:31 PDT 2001

the problem with these approaches is that users adapt - they adapt
their behaviour, their application behaviour and their workload mix -
for example, when going from 56kbps to xdsl of cable modem, MOST
People eventually learn that keeping all your telecommute work files
at the workplace and doing remote samba/nfs and X or citrix or nt
console is far more long term effective, but it also switches MOST
people from being in the lower category to the higher

when you go to higher bandwidth still, in our local uni experience
(which is isually a predictor of what happens to domestic use 5-10
yerars later) people start to run low latency continuous media (games,
hi fi audio) all the time

so all these experiences based on early experience in commercial
settings (esp. ones extrapoolated from simpley movign the curve out)
are imho on the VERY low estiamte side in the end

In message <3AE5EE93.BA5A1921 at cs.columbia.edu>, "Henning G. Schulzrinne" typed:

 cheers

   jon