[e2e] Re: crippled Internet

RJ Atkinson rja at inet.org
Wed Apr 25 05:07:33 PDT 2001

At 20:41 24/04/01, Fred Baker wrote:
>None of them talk about the link between them and their customer, which they view as out of their control - out of sight and out of mind. They also offer the customer few QoS options and often very little information about what is going on at the SP end of that link.
>
>Hence, customer figures he bought a link from an ISP and it should work, and ISP thinks the customer provided it, so nobody is taking responsibility for it. Three guesses where I think the real problem tends to be.

        All of the big ISPs that I'm familiar with let customers
see the bandwidth utilisation graph for the interface from
the ISP POP router pointing at the customer POP router.  Many
of them have internal alarms set when that utilisation crosses
some threshold -- to trigger having a sales person contact the
customer about whether they want a larger uplink circuit.

        Maybe I'm not following your thoughts above, but I think
that the ISPs are doing their bit to keep customers reasonably
informed about their tail circuit -- though the motive is profit.

Ran