[e2e] Re: crippled Internet

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Wed Apr 25 10:08:07 PDT 2001

to repeat a private discussion

the bottom line is, if we want voip quality when tail circuits are under-
provisioned then we need a diffserv-like queuing discipline to be globally
deployed, inter-provider, with common markings, all the way from end to end,
for all ends.  and it has to be compatible between all vendors, including
cpe, and absolutely must not decrease network reliability.

given that we are a loooong way from this, what is a provider to do?  so we
over-provision the backbones and try to get the customers to overprovision
the tails.  and, in general, we only charge them for the tail bandwidth they
actually use.

anyone got any better actually implementable ideas?

randy