[e2e] QoS vs Bandwidth Overprovisioning

Alhussein Abouzeid hussein at ee.washington.edu
Wed Apr 25 11:17:06 PDT 2001

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Randy Bush wrote:

> >> Bandwidth overprovisioning has worked for most of the last decade.
> > tell me, then why we hear so regularly that the Internet doesn't work?
>
> because people make money by saying so?
>
> randy

totally disagree - an advertising major was asking me the other day
why the heck (excuse her language) the quality of her phone calls to Cairo
did not improve when she upgraded her "Internet connection" -
I had to explain to her the harsh reality, that she has overprovisioned
only part of the path, and, that there's *nothing* she can do
about it.

-Hussein,