[e2e] Mystery

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sat Apr 28 18:08:08 PDT 2001

It's truly a mystery how Sony can assign IP addresses without getting them
from ARIN ...  anyone got an explanation?

I've been arguing that every consumer product should be able to get its
very own stable IP address for free, for years.  But that requires a bit of
a change to routing in the real world, as well as an address space the size
of v6's which the article suggests as part of the answer....

So HOORAY.  Now we only have to get the IETF, Cisco, and Microsoft, among
others, to do their part.

- David