[e2e] Mystery

David.Eckhardt at cs.cmu.edu David.Eckhardt at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Apr 28 20:26:23 PDT 2001

> It's truly a mystery how Sony can assign IP addresses without
> getting them from ARIN ...  anyone got an explanation?

Visiting the URL that was forwarded with the mysterious sentence
reveals: "It is likely that the company will employ IP version 6
(IPv6) to provide a nearly unlimited number of IP addresses, compared
with the current IP version 4 (IPv4)".

If memory serves me, one of the myriad forms of IPv6 address is
some constant prefixed to a 48-bit MAC address, which can somehow
be parleyed into a globally routable address.

Dave Eckhardt