[e2e] The Intra-Planetary Internet

Jon Crowcroft J.Crowcroft at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Aug 2 08:28:34 PDT 2001

yes, it does look like i wanted to have my pi AND eat it....oh well,
so unless we relocate silicon valley and all the computers to the
center of the earth, i guess we're looking at 50 msec

still 3.14159 - and even more coputers to calculate how far apart they
really area

also note that we could run GPS on them more easily (and cheaply) than
on the satellites...

In message <5.1.0.14.2.20010802110644.0465db00 at mail.reed.com>, "David P. Reed"
typed:

 >>At 08:11 AM 8/2/01 +0100, Jon Crowcroft wrote:
 >>>we need to urgently and boldly, go where IP has not gove before:
 >>>straight downwards. We need to figure out how to modulate a signal so
 >>>that instead of going 25,000 miles around the planet, we go 4000 miles
 >>>through it:- i know Order(2 pi) reduction is not great in terms of
 >>>scaling, but its hideously important in terms of latency at the speed
 >>>of light -
 >>
 >>It's only a factor of pi, Jon.  Unless there is a wormhole nexus in the
 >>center of the earth.  8,000 miles through it.
 >>

 >>- David
 >>WWW Page: http://www.reed.com/dpr.html

 cheers

   jon