[e2e] a new paper on Adaptive RED

Saverio Mascolo mascolo at poliba.it
Fri Aug 3 05:09:07 PDT 2001

You may be interested to look at "Easy Red: improving fairness via simple
early discard" available from:

http://www-ictserv.poliba.it/mascolo/papers/Easy_red.pdf

Easy RED has the following main features:

1) It DOES NOT average the queue;
2) min_th0=queue capacity/3
3)max_th=queue capacity
4) pdrop=constant=0.01   when instantaneous queue> queue capacity/3
  otherwise is zero

This setting is very easy and gives remarkable throughput and fairness
incremement respect to RED/Gentle_RED.

Finally, why fairness is considered a secondary metric and no experiments
are devoted to it? Fom  VJ [88] paper

"While algorithms at the transport end points can insure the network
cacapcity is not exceeded, they cannot insure fair sharing of that capacity.
Only in gateway, at the convergece of flows, is there enough information to
conontrol sharing and fair allocation"

it seems evident that fairness improvment is a primary issue .

-Saverio