[e2e] a new paper on Adaptive RED

Saverio Mascolo mascolo at poliba.it
Fri Aug 3 08:23:03 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ramakrishna Gummadi" <ramki at aciri.org>
To: "Saverio Mascolo" <mascolo at poliba.it>
Cc: "Sally Floyd" <floyd at aciri.org>
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2001 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: [e2e] a new paper on Adaptive RED

> 1) As long as end users are assumed to be behaving correctly (which is
> what the original RED and adaptive RED assume), random dropping can
guarantee
> fairness. Under this assumption, adaptive RED is no more or no less fair
> than RED. That is why we say---"We do not discuss the fairness behavior of
> Adaptive RED, since this is quite similar to the fairness behavior of
> RED."

Actually what I have found is that RED/Gentle RED do not improve fairness in
a significant way but they reduce the throughput over high speed links ( 100
Mbps link).

In my opinion, main reason because RED does not work is that queue average
introduces delay for which the discard is no more early as it should be.
Using a simple constant  dropping rate, related to instantaneous queue
level, makes things much more easy and  effective.

Thanks,
Saverio