[e2e] Re: queue averaging introduces delay

Wuwei wuwei at sdp.ee.tsinghua.edu.cn
Thu Aug 9 03:31:21 PDT 2001

Hi,Dennis Ferguson

I think there have been some algorithms existed for your purpose, such as
BLUE, proposed by Feng et al, AVQ, proposed by Kunniyur and Srikant. Actually,
AVQ is trying to control the utilization by a PI controller. The difference
between it and PI controller proposed by C.V.Hollt et al, is just the control
target from my point of view. According to my simulation of PI controller,
PI controller is really sensitive to the buffer limit and can't work well
when the target queue size is small. The performance of PI controller,
including the queue size fluctuation and convergence speed,especially the latter
deteriorates seriously when the buffer limit is small or the target queue size
is close to 0. From Sigcomm2001 paper, it seems AVQ has solved such a problem
to some extent by introducing virtual queue. The use of virtual queue extends
the control range of the actual queue size.

Best Regards
Wei Wu
wuwei at sdp.ee.tsinghua.edu.cn
| Wei Wu, Complexity Engineering System Labs (CESL)                   |
| Electronics Engineering Department, Tsinghua University             |
| Beijing, P.R.China                                                  |
| Office:Room 401 Division 10,Eastern Main Building of Tsinghua Univ. |
|       (tel) 86 10 6277 3228                                         |
| Dorm  :Room 300 Apartment 14, Tsinghua Univ.                        |
|       (tel) 86 10 6277 8632                                         |

In your letter 2001-8-7 10:56:00