[e2e] Re: queue averaging introduces delay

Lidia Yamamoto yamamoto at run.montefiore.ulg.ac.be
Thu Aug 9 09:17:25 PDT 2001

Hi Wei Wu,

> Maybe in RED, C*q_w should be a constant value, which can determine the
> responsiveness of RED actually. So higher capacity C is, the less q_w should be...

Actually adaptive RED proposes that qw = 1 - e^(-1/C)
If we take C*qw to be a constant, say, C*qw = 1, then qw = 1/C.

It turns out that these functions are quite close to each other for
large C, say C>10. Then, it could be indeed more practical to use simply
qw=1/C, for links of a reasonable speed (10 pkts/s = 120kbit/s for 1500
byte pkts). If that is the case, then we could even think of adjusting
qw dynamically for links that have variable capacity (e.g. the multiple
queue case that was discussed earlier), since the calculation is quite
simple. Would that make any sense?

Lidia.