R: [e2e] [Fwd: RED-->ECN]

Saverio Mascolo mascolo at poliba.it
Thu Feb 1 08:23:09 PST 2001

Hi all,

I would introduce another element of discussion...Explicit congestion
indication was proposed in the ATM community...after a while they concluded
that it was necessary a richer feedback in order to obtain an effective
"regularization" of queue dynamics, utilization etc...thus it was proposed
explicit rate indication such ERICA algorithm.

Saverio

> [...]
>    to keep their rates low, while loss and delay are kept low.
>    This is the key benefit, which cannot be achieved without decoupling,
>    for otherwise congestion measure (in this case, loss or queue) must
>    be kept high to send the right signal to users (unless one adapts RED
>    parameters dynamically).  This is the first type of decoupling.
>
>    Note that even with the first type fo decoupling,
>    performance measures such as loss, queue, delay or rate,
>    are used to *update* the congestion measure, but the equilibrium
>    *value* of the congestion measure is determined "solely" (in an
>    idealized
>    world) by the network topology, number of users etc, not by the
>    flow control algorithm.
>
>    Now, how is the congestion measure fed back?   This can be done
>    implicitly through what can be observed at the source, e.g. loss
>    or delay.   Or it can be done explicitly using ECN or management
>    packets.   This is decoupling the *feedback* of congestion measure
>    from performance measure.
>
>    By "decoupling", I always meant the first kind of decoupling, which
>    I think is more important in determining the equilibrium behavior
>    of congestion control.
>
>    I agree with you completely that ECN helps in the second type of
>    decoupling,
>    but not the first type which has to do with the design of AQM (choice
>    of congestion measure and its update rule).   In wireless environment,
>    however,
>    because of the two kinds of losses (congestion & random loss), the
>    second
>    type of decoupling becomes useful as well.
>
>    Regarding your mice-elephant comment, mice invasion may indeed be a
>    problem.   But that makes it all the more important that elephants are
>    controlled to leave queues empty (in the absence of mice), and this
>    seems
>    hard to do if congestion measure is coupled with performance measure -
>    empty queue then automatically invites elephants to raise their rates.
>    If empty queue does not mean "increase you rate", then elephants must
>    be fed back (through ECN or probabilistical dropping) other necessary
>    information to set their rates.
>
>    Steven
>

>    Alhussein Abouzeid wrote:
>    >
>    > Hi Steven,
>    >
>    > I generally agree with your approach below but have three, also
>    > philosophical, comments that I'd like to share with you regarding the
>    > decoupling of congestion measures from performance measures.
>    >
>    > Clearly, decoupling these two measures may greatly help in the design
of
>    > congestion control algorithms, since the congestion information
becomes
>    > explicitly available (through say, ECN). However, even with
>    > the use of ECN, full decoupling is not possible. The reason is that
ECN
>    > packets themselves might be lost if sudden congestion takes place.
>    >
>    > Another point is regarding your argument that controlling "elephants"
>    will
>    > result in low queue levels and hence "mice" will be able to run
quickly
>    > through the network. While this argument seems quite sensible, at
least
>    > me, it is problematic if you imagine the arrival of many such mice -
say
>    > mice invasion. Will the ECN marking rate/scheme used for signaling
the
>    > elephants be enough to pro-actively avoid congestion from this mice
>    > invasion? I think that, at least, this is an important part of the
puzzle
>    > that should not be taken lightly. In other words, the so called
>    > *transient* effect due to the mice population has to be accommodated
and
>    > handled as carefully as the elephants' *steady state* effect.
>    >
>    > Finally, I'd like to add one more point; that the same level of
>    > decoupling that you propose can still be achieved using AQM without
ECN.
>    > In one context, RED can be viewed as a controller that estimates the
>    state
>    > and acts upon the estimate. The average queue size is taken as a
measure
>    > of the state and the feedback signal is a function of the state
>    > estimate. However, the average queue size need not be the only
measure of
>    > congestion. Indeed, some recent works suggested measuring the arrival
>    rate
>    > directly (using some filter to smooth out transients) and using this
as
>    > the measure of congestion. In some sense, such schemes attempts to
>    achieve
>    > the rightful objective you mentioned; decide whether demand exceeds
>    > capacity. Both approaches (queue-based or rate-based) have some
problems
>    > that are too involved to detail here. If the AQM router uses a
>    > rate-based measure of congestion and drops packets when
>    > demand exceeds capacity (according to some reasonable algorithm),
then
>    > we effectively achieve the same level of decoupling, and also in this
>    > case, the (average) buffer level can be kept low.
>    >
>    > In summary, in my opinion, ECN is a much more decent way of informing
the
>    > sources about congestion, instead of the "cruel" way of packet
>    > dropping. As mentioned by others, it also saves the efforts of all
the
>    > routers (if any) that processed the packet before it was finally
dropped
>    > somewhere along the path, and also the effort of the source in
detecting
>    > the packet loss. It has other virtues along the same lines that I am
not
>    > listing here. It can be used to distinguish between
congestion-related
> [...]
>    > > > Mice suffer large delay currently, not because they are end to
>    > > > end controlled, but because the current congestion control (even
>    > > > just of elephants) can produce large queues in the path of mice.
>    > > >
>    > > > So, with the a TCP/AQM strategy that maintains high utilization
>    > > > and low queue in equilibrium (regardless of hte number of
sources),
>    > > > buffer is used *only* to absorb *transient* bursts.  This can be
>    > > > very different with a scheme that uses, say, queue length to
>    > > > measure congestion; with such a scheme, we do not have control
>    > > > on the equilibrium value of the queue - it is determined solely
by
>    > > > the network topology and #sources and hence can be high depending
>    > > > on scenario.   When queues are always high, they do not have
>    > > > reserve to handle burst.   But when queues are always low, I
>    > > > think bursts can be much better handled.
>    > > >
>    > > > So much for such vague philosophical discussions.  Since this
>    > > > is getting too long, I'd defer discussion on the unresolved
>    > > > issues with the third approach to some other time (except to
>    > > > point out that one big challenge is the heterogeneity of
>    > > > routers during transition when some routers mark packets
>    > > > and some drop packets to indicate congestion).  Btw, I don't
>    > > > think the three approaches are mutually exclusive and can't
>    > > > complement each other.
>    > > >
>    > > > Steven
>    > > >
>    > > > ____________________________________________________________
>    > > > Steven Low,    Assoc Prof of CS and EE
>    > > > Caltech, Pasadena, CA91125
>    > > > Tel: +1 626 395 6767 Fax: +1 626 792 4257
>    > > > slow at caltech.edu
>    > > > netlab.caltech.edu
>    > > >
>    > > > >From owner-ecn-interest at research.att.com  Sat Jan 27 08:02:12
2001
>    > > > >Delivered-To: ecn-interest at research.att.com
>    > > > >X-url: http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/~hari/
>    > > > >To: slow at caltech.edu
>    > > > >Cc: ecn-interest at research.att.com, cwcam at caltech.edu,
>    wch at its.caltech.edu,
>    > > > >   siew at its.caltech.edu, rliu at yak.ugcs.caltech.edu
>    > > > >Subject: Re: RED-->ECN
>    > > > >Mime-Version: 1.0
>    > > > >Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 15:56:20 -0500
>    > > > >From: Hari Balakrishnan <hari at breeze.lcs.mit.edu>
>    > > > >
>    > > > >
>    > > > >Steven,
>    > > > >
>    > > > >REM is an interesting idea for using ECN, and I rather like it
from
>    a research
>    > > > >standpoint because it doesn't have discontinuities (cf. RED)
that
>    make analysis
>    > > > >harder.  However, I'm generally skeptical that any scheme can be
>    shown to
>    > > > >eliminate essentially all buffer overflow losses under _all_
>    conditions
>    > > > >(offered load), and yet accommodate bursts and provide
reasonably
>    low delays...
>    > > > > especially when not all offered traffic is reacting or reacting
in
>    different
>    > > > >ways from multiplicative-decrease.  Even a small fraction of
>    unresponsive
>    > > > >traffic may make life problematic.
>    > > > >
>    > > > >Some years ago, I found it pretty hard to tune RED for this, to
>    enhance my ELN
>    > > > >scheme.  REM may be more promising, but my gut feeling (as a
network
>    engineer)
>    > > > >tells me that it wouldn't be prudent to such implicit deductions
>    about loss
>    > > > >causes in practice...
>    > > > >
>    > > > >Hari
>    > > > >
>    > > > >On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:34:52 PST, you wrote:
>    > > > >
>    > > > >> [Sorry for the previous broken msg...]
>    > > > >>
>    > > > >> Hi Saverio,
>    > > > >>
>    > > > >> Another point I'd like to add is that the addition of ECN
>    > > > >> may open up new opportunities for network control, some of
>    > > > >> which we may not even envision now.  Without ECN we are
>    > > > >> stuck with using loss (or delay) as the only means to
>    > > > >> communicate between network and TCP sources.
>    > > > >> Let me give an example.
>    > > > >>
>    > > > >> There are two types of losses in wireless environment:
>    > > > >> 1. due to congestion (e.g. buffer overflow), and
>    > > > >> 2. due to wireles effect (handoffs, fast fading, interference
>    etc).
>    > > > >> One problem with TCP over wireless links is that TCP cannot
>    > > > >> differentiate
>    > > > >> between the two and essentially assume all losses are due to
>    > > > >> congestion and reduce its rate.  Most of the current proposed
>    > > > >> solutions are based on two ideas.
>    > > > >>
>    > > > >> The first idiea is to hide type 1 (wireless) losses from TCP
>    source,
>    > > > >> so it sees only congestion losses and react properly.
Examples