R: [e2e] [Fwd: RED-->ECN]

Kathleen Nichols nichols at packetdesign.com
Mon Feb 5 13:41:23 PST 2001

Saverio Mascolo wrote:

> What Hollot says is right. Averaging the queue makes much more difficult to
> control the queue level. In control terms is like to add another pole in the
> feedback loop.
> An interesting paper is also "Reasons not to deploy RED" by J. Bolot et. al.
> ( at http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/337634.html).
> This paper experiments average vs. instantaneous queue RED dropping.

There are a lot of interesting things to look at in RED-type work and
one of them is to closely examine the quality of the experiments
that are done and cited in papers. Unless the above cited paper has
changed since someone at Cisco asked me to look at it, all I can
say is if your network looks like that of their experiments (set up,
RTTs, traffic mix), then perhaps the results apply. There is a body
of measurement work that shows that most networks look rather different
from this. I'm personally interested in results that show some
robustness,
but this may not be currently fashionable.

	Kathie Nichols