[e2e] Can feedback be generated more fast in ECN?

Zhang Miao zm at csnet1.cs.tsinghua.edu.cn
Sun Feb 11 23:15:58 PST 2001

First, I would like to say sorry.
I have read the paper by Sally Floyd you mentioned before.
But I forgot the related content when I wrote down my question.
After re-read that paper, I still can't get the answer to the question.
The author listed 2 disadvantages of Source Quench, and listed several
advantages of source quench over ECN. There were no explicit answer to my
question in it.

The disadvantages of Source Quench mentioned:
(1) the overhead of Source Quench traffic in times of congestion.
(2) addtional load on the network in times of congestion.

The author also admitted that: "the use of intelligent gateway mechanisms such as
those in RED gateways would limit the overhead of the Source Quench traffic."
Also, "Although we have not explored the dynamics of backward ECN mechanism such as
Source Quench in our simulation, ..."

Now, let us see the disadvantages of Source Quench mentioned in that paper.
(1) Is the overhead of Source Quench traffic a significant problem?
    I guess this arguement was based on router of single processor architecture.
The CPU in the router does everything, routing, forwarding, etc. But the architecture
of router has changed a lot. We now have router with distributed architecture, with
ASIC. The processing of Source Quench may be not a big problem now.

(2) About the additional load
    If Source Quench introduces additional load to the network, ECN also does.
Perhaps in ECN, the congestion will influence more broad than in Source Quench.
(For the congestion will be "echoed" by the congested router with Source Quench).
Addtionally, if the link is congested in one direction, can we deduce that the link
is also congested in the reverse direction. The more often scenario is links
with heterogenous load in the two directions.

>please refer to "TCP and Explicit Congestion Notification" for more
>information, especially Section 9.1

*    Zhang Miao                                                 *
*    Ph.D candidate,Department of Computer Science & Technology *
*    Tsinghua University,Beijing,China(100084)                  *
*    Tel: (8610)-62785822                                       *
*    Email: zm at csnet1.cs.tsinghua.edu.cn                        *