[e2e] time for a presentation layer?

julian_satran at il.ibm.com julian_satran at il.ibm.com
Sun Jul 8 23:54:09 PDT 2001

There are at least to reason why an IP option (even in the disgust of a
separate protocol header between IP and transport) looks better:

   available for any transport
   can be implemented with intercept code (bump in the stack) instead of
   changing code

And several disadvantages:

   Negotiation in-band is difficult to sync (like IKE and IPSec) (not
   impossible though)
   Negotiation out-of-band requires (probably) a separate protocol

Julo

"Eric A. Hall" <ehall at ehsco.com> on 08-07-2001 19:50:51

Please respond to "Eric A. Hall" <ehall at ehsco.com>