[e2e] time for a presentation layer?

julian_satran at il.ibm.com julian_satran at il.ibm.com
Mon Jul 9 07:00:17 PDT 2001

Eric,

The trouble with transport options is that there so precious few of them
and adding one involves taking care
that nothing gets broken anywhere.
Encapsulating the transport in another header just extends this space.  As
for how deep in the stack you
have to make the information visible you may choose to do it in the
transport just after the encapsulation
if the table approach violates what you sense as "good layering".
Some of the options are anyhow "constant driven" (like the integrity
checks).
In IPV6 it looks like the end-to-end options are a perfect match for this
type of extension.

Regards,
Julo

"Eric A. Hall" <ehall at ehsco.com> on 09-07-2001 16:07:16