[e2e] e2e principle..where??....

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sat Jun 2 08:09:14 PDT 2001

Just a thought.  The end-to-end argument does not argue against designing
an application to use caching as an optimization.  Since caching of the
Akamai sort  (just to use the typical model in use these days) is NOT
transparent to either end of the application (the server-side explicitly
generates URLs that point to the cache, and the client fetches explicitly
from the cache), this seems like a protocol where the lower networking
layers (the "Net transport" layer) provides no caching functionality
whatsoever.  Thus, the Akamai approach is an end-to-end design - there was
no need to modify the existing network protocols or spoof them to make it work.

The "transparent cache" approach (pioneered by @Home) where the network
itself spoofs HTTP and tries to second-guess what the user wants - that is
not end-to-end, and creates huge secondary problems (since the server and
client don't know that caching is going on, they may assume the client is
getting up-to-date information, whereas the out-of-date cached information
is being fed).

What the end-to-end argument does *not* say is that applications must be
designed without optimizations that suit their needs - and caching at the
application level is an optimization that just includes more "ends" in the
application layer protocol (the cache servers).