end-to-end business model - [e2e] traffic engineering considered harmful

Mark Gaynor gaynor at eecs.harvard.edu
Sat Jun 16 07:16:38 PDT 2001

This thread is from a few days ago.

I have been working on an end-to-end business model as part of my PhD
thesis. Our work looks at the value of providing end-2-end services
compared to more centralized architectures. The main contribution is
linking market uncertainty to the value of being able to experiment. We
show the economic value of end-2-end services in some cases with a real
options like model.  We (Scott Bradner, HT Kung, Marco Iansiti, and
myself) wrote a paper about part of our work:
www.eecs.harvard.edu/~gaynor/IEEE-special.pdf.

A modifyed version of this first paper (IEEE-standard.pdf) will be
presented at an upcomming IEEE conference on Standards and Innovation
(www.siit2001.org).  If you are looking for a detailed writeup, send me
email and I will point you to my thesis.